Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Blast from Their Past

debated whether to deal publicly with this and decided that it was better to give a true picture of our journey rather than a sanitized version.  I even held onto this post for several days before publishing.  While some things will arise that are personal and private (and will not be shared), I thought others might benefit from our experience.  My intention is to be real but also fair in my representation of this event. I hope it is taken that way.

You may recall from earlier in the blog that Oleg and Lena participated in a hosting program that brings orphaned children to the U.S. in an attempt to find forever families for them. Our kids had the opportunity to stay with the same family on two occasions - once last summer for 4 weeks and again at Christmas for 2 weeks.  See these previous posts for more info:  Urgent Prayer Needed  and  Meeting older kids.  

Recently that family found our blog and contacted us.  I must admit that it caught me completely off guard. My heart was in my throat, and I felt threatened and protective of my family. I delayed responding for several days as I worked through my emotions and drafted a response. I prayed about it many times, Cliff and I talked about it several times, and I consulted with a social worker at our adoption agency.

Below is an edited version of the email from the family. I removed personal information that would identify them. I also removed the comment from the blog - again, to protect their identity.  The comment is kind and clearly well considered.

Hello, my name is [name] and our family hosted Oleg and Lena last summer and again over the Christmas holiday. We are glad to hear that it is going well for you and you are adjusting to the new normal. We have been praying for you ALL and will continue to do so. If you are open to it, we would love to hear from you how the kids are doing and when the time is appropriate from Oleg. If you choose not to, we understand. We have some of their gifts from Christmas and from Oleg's birthday that I would like to send to them if that is okay. [Name] asked the other day if she could write to Lena. Please let us know what you decide regardless so I know that you got this message. Thanks. May the Lord continue to bless your faithfulness.

In Christ

[Name and contact info]


This was my response:


Dear [Name],


Thank you for your inquiry about the children.  We understand that you share history and good memories of them, and they speak fondly of their time with you.  

At this time we are focused on solidifying our family - as you said, "adjusting to the new normal."  Things seem to be going well, but it does take time.  For now we are keeping things as low key and uncomplicated as possible.  

Thank you for your prayers.  They are most welcome.  We will be in touch, but I cannot predict when that will be.  Please know that we appreciate the love and care that you showed Oleg and Lena when they were with you.  I think it has eased our transition in many ways.

I am awed by the grace and kindness evident in your email.  Thank you for understanding that we need time.  I can only hope that I could be so gracious in your position.

Courtney Johnson


For now, we are not telling the kids about the inquiry. We will. But not yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment