Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hanna is Talking!

Hanna is talking more and more.

On Saturday, Cliff got the kids candy.  He cut Hanna's into bite size pieces and put it on a napkin in the middle of the table.  Then he would dole out a piece at a time.  All the other kids scarfed theirs and left the table with Hanna still sitting there.  Cliff walked away from the table briefly, and I watched to see what she would do.  She definitely wanted to stand up and grab the candy herself, but she knew she was not to do that.  She fought the impulse for a while and then said, "Can I . . . have more . . . dis?"  That is officially her first unprompted complete expressive sentence.  To which I said, "YES!" and immediately rewarded her effort.  Decided not to quibble over the may/can grammar.

Since then, she's been trying more and more.  On Monday after her dental work we were sitting on the couch.  She put her hand on my leg and said, "Dis is Mama."  Then she put her hand on her leg and said, "Dis is Hanna."  Then she looked up at me and said, "Dis is Hanna's Mama."  So sweet.

And tonight she bonked her head on the wall (by accident) and said, "I hurt Hanna," as she rubbed her head.

There have been many other examples.  These are just a few that I remember.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! How exciting! I'm sure you'll see the language grow quickly now. Sounds like she's getting it. Just keep modeling correct language...no quibbling over grammar needed, just repeating what she says the way you would say it. The speech therapist in me had to add that in! :)

    Aunt Darby

    ReplyDelete