Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Monday, June 27, 2011

Hanna's Dental

This morning Hanna and I headed to the Children's Hospital Day Surgery Unit for her dental work.  As mentioned before, her procedure had to be done in the hospital due to her small size.

We arrived about 6:25am and got checked in.  Hanna played for about 30min before they called us to go in to take vital signs and medical history.  THAT'S always fun.  Hanna did great with the medical part.  But I have to explain over and over again why I don't know more about her medical status than I do.  Only part of it has to do with the adoption.  At this point, I still don't have the results of the blood tests ordered back in April.

After the medical intake, we went to another waiting area to put on the cute yellow pajamas that they gave her to wear during the procedure.  Waited there for a bit before the doctors started arriving to explain the procedure, get consent, and confirm medical info (again with the explaining why I don't know more than I do).  At 7:25 they took her back to the operating room, and I headed to the family room to eat my breakfast and wait.

At a little before 9am they called me to go to the recovery area.  When I entered, all I saw was a little lump under a thick blanket.  She was still out.  The dentist told me that they didn't have to do the root canal.  She has a crown and several fillings.  She is on soft foods for the next 24 hours, and we need to schedule a follow up in a week or so to check the work and healing.

After the consult with the dentist, the nurse pulled back the blanket, and Hanna woke right up.  She had a tube in her mouth that they quickly removed.  The first thing she said was a groggy, "Hello."  So cute!

The nurse let me pick her up and sit with her in a glider while she checked her vitals again and removed the monitors and tubes.  When I asked her how her teeth felt, she said, "Good."  Within about 15-20 minutes we were heading for the elevator.

We waited for our car (valet parked and validated) then headed home.  We walked in the door a little after 10am.  I got Hanna set up on the couch with some water and yogurt and tv.  At noon, I put her down for a nap.  Then I actually had to wake her up at 3pm to keep her somewhat on her usual schedule.  Once up and after a little time to wake up, she seemed like her usual self.  No complaints.


No comments:

Post a Comment