Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Where is Lena?"

Yesterday, Oleg wanted to ride his scooter over to the school playground (after school hours).  I talked Emma into going with him (not quite ready to let him out on his own).  And Lena went, too.

About 20-30 min. later Oleg returned and said to me, "Where is Lena?"  I thought he was messing around (because he likes to do that), so I didn't take it very seriously.  I responded that she wasn't here and she should be with Emma if she wasn't with him.  Then I saw Emma come up the driveway without Lena.

Panic set in.  I asked Emma where Lena was, and she said, "She's too slow."  So apparently they just LEFT HER!

I put Vivian in charge of Hanna (since the other two CLEARLY were not trustworthy at the moment), grabbed my keys, and went to rescue my child.

I found her easily enough, surrounded by moms (presumably) trying to comfort her.  Oleg had also gone back on his bike.  Lena was crying silently and scared out of her mind.  I picked her up and put her in the car.  Then I put her bike in the back.  Oleg saw that I had it under control and turned back for home.  I had to endure some criticism from those who found her.  I just responded that it was more complicated than what they saw.

Once I got her home, I held Lena for about 20-30 min. until she relaxed and responded to me.  I told her that she was not in trouble, that the older kids were wrong to leave her, that I love her and was worried about her, that I would always come for her.  I don't know how much she understood, but she needed to hear it.  She was stiff and emotionally shut down from the time I put her in the car.  I just held her and talked to her until she relaxed and responded to me.  Oddly enough that was when I asked if she wanted to help me cook dinner.

<<Now she's asking if she can go on a ride in the neighborhood.  Must not be TOO traumatized!>>

I tried to explain to Oleg that what he did was wrong.  Not sure how that went.  He is now grounded from bike/scooter rides in the neighborhood until Cliff gets back this weekend.

Emma knows that we "Never leave a man behind!"  Don't know what happened there.  Also not sure what her consequences will be.  We're starting with no computer time on our next computer day, but I don't think that is enough for the severity of the offense.  Still need to talk to Cliff about the whole thing.

Oddly enough, I think this was a "good" thing.  It gave me an opportunity to show Lena how important she is to me which is good for bonding.  She and I have had some trouble in that department, and this may have moved us to another level.

She's out on her bike now.

No comments:

Post a Comment