Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I-171H. . . .check (almost)

So we received our approval of our I-600A form yesterday.  YEA!  This was much faster than I expected.

BUT some of the information is incorrect.  The form allows us to bring home 2 children of either gender who are 0-3 years old with no special needs.  I know.  You're looking at 2 children of either gender and thinking that is the problem.  Actually, our agency told us to do it that way.  We don't HAVE to adopt 2 children.  But if we changed our minds in-country and DID want to adopt 2 children, this gives us pre-approval and less paperwork/travel time.  Same with gender.  So we did that part on purpose.  These approvals provide options once we are there.

No, the problem is with the age and special needs designations.  The I-171H approval form must match our home study, and our home study specifically states the age as 3-7 and the special needs category as "correctable."  Without these designations on our approval form, we will not be able to bring our child home without significant in-country difficulty.

So, I am in the process of fixing this.  After communicating with our agency,  I called USCIS and (amazingly) got through to the officer handling our case.  She is very nice and indicated that it should not be a problem.  She needs to pull our file and compare our home study to the approval letter to confirm the discrepancy.  And it should be fixed with little issue.

We'll see. . . .I won't breathe a sigh of relief on this until I see the corrected letter.  Fortunately we have plenty of time to get it fixed, so it won't slow us down at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment